Have you heard? I bet that most of you know about today, the first ever Giving Tuesday. After a day where we focus on giving thanks, followed by a day where we focus on getting deals, followed by another day where we scour the web for even better deals, a team got together to create a day for giving back. Brilliant!
Not sure how to get involved? Here are some ways I’ve found to celebrate, in no particular order:
- #GivingTuesday’s site provides a list of ideas for individuals and families. This list highlights various ways that we can get involved and help throughout the year, not just one day out of the year.
- Feeding America.
- 5 super sweet celebration ideas from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Tanzanian Children’s Fund & Rift Valley Children’s Village: make a donation or even sponsor a child today. I of course whole-heartedly support donating to TCF/ RVCV (as this is where I volunteered). These donations go directly to covering the living and schooling expenses for the lively, beautiful RVCV children.
- Get involved by donating to Save the Children.
- World Vision’s “Zakale: A New Creation” —read the article in this link to find the link to where you can contribute. And a cool fun fact, in case you don’t read the article, “Zakale” is the Swahili word for what has been thrown away, being made new again. Zakale is the inspiration behind the ornament creations you’ll find in the link.
- ONE Campaign believes our voice is our greatest gift. For #GivingTuesday, they ask that we use our voice by signing this petition to help protect poverty-fighting problems.
- Invisible Children’s “Come Home for the Holidays Campaign.”
- WaterAid’s SH2OP For Life Campaign.
So, there ya have it. A little #GivingTuesday motivation. If you have the means to give a little today, take a minute to get involved. ‘Tis the season!